Friday, October 8, 2010

{FFwD} Gerard's Mustard Tart

The next French Friday's with Dorie recipe was a savory tart. I realized part way through making the recipe that I didn't own a tart pan yet! So, as the dough chilled I ran to the store and bought one. When I got home I realized I bought an 11'' pan and the recipe calls for a 9'' pan. Since my Modern Baker group will do a section on savory tarts I checked that cookbook. It calls for an 11'' pan. So, I kept it and just stretched my dough thin in the tart pan.

The dough wasn't necessarily pretty and it wasn't until I poured the egg mixture into the pan that it occured to me why a strong crust side is important (yes, there were a number of wall breaches), but the crust tasted great! I can't wait to use it again.
The tart itself was pretty easy, except that I know very little about mustard. This recipe calls for two kinds of mustard. I bought dijon mustard, but I was stumped on the "grainy french mustard". You can't find this description on the label and I assumed Dorie didn't mean French's. There were a few mustards there might have fit the bill but they were quite expensive! In the end I used Dijon and a spicy brown mustard I already owned.
I liked the tart, but think I wold prefer the tomato-mustard tart. I sort of felt it was missing a little something and I'm not a huge mustard person so just mustard was a bit much for me. It got eaten up quickly.

5 comments:

  1. love the rustic look. it looks delicious, great job! Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I, too, had an 11-inch tart pan I had purchased for the Modern Baker Challenge, so I had to roll the dough out really far. But it worked fine.

    I found Maille mustard at Wold Market. It's worth hunting for, as it's really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious!I want to try it with the carrots and leeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some how I have ended up with two tart pans in my cupboard, a 9 and 11 inch. I wanted to try to tomato one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the 11 inch pan as well and I have found that I need to increase the recipe for the dough...what I usually do (and I have no idea if this is correct or not, but it has worked out in my TWD recipes with Dorie's doughs)is make a triple recipe, use 1-1/2 for one tart, freezing the other 1-1/2 for the next tart and labeling it so for the freezer so it is there waiting for the next tart. Yours all looks wonderful. Yes, I am in this group, yes, I am behind, yes, I plan to catch up and make them all. At this point, I think that I am going to do one post on the last Friday with all four recipes. That's the plan anyway. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails