Tuesday, October 26, 2010

BBA: Lavash Crackers

The seventeenth bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is lavash crackers.

After a number of two day more complicated breads, I was happy to have a simple one day cracker to try. Lavash crackers are an Armenian-style cracker and are typically paper thin. Often times you simple snap the finished large baked cracker into pieces and serve as shards.

The dough was easy to mix using bread flour, salt, instant yeast, honey, oil, and water. My dough rose for about double the time because of an unexpected trip to the park. I rolled out the dough on a board but getting it paper thin proved to be a lot harder than I anticipated. The dough often sprung back on me. I tried for awhile and let it rest in between trials, but never got it as thin as I would have liked. The edges were thinner so I got a sense of what a true cracker would be like. I'll try again next time. Any tips on getting them paper thin?
The crackers bake in about 20 minutes. My crackers were thicker than instructed, but I sure enjoyed them nonetheless. I topped them with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and kosher salt. By far, the kosher salt was my favorite. I had meant to cut the crackers diagonally with a little of each seed on each cracker, but my "no touching" organized brain took over while cutting and I separated each seed on the crackers. So silly.

Hummus here I come!

4 comments:

  1. They look great! I loved these with hummus - it was actually a frequent repeat recipe for me, even though some of the other BBAers didn't like it at all. I'm glad you enjoyed them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cover with a pastry cloth to try to roll things thinner. Might work for this or Angie might have a tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours look delicious. I had trouble the first time getting them thin as well, the second time was better, and now I think I have a system for recognizing proper thinness. Or at least proper thinness for us. All the ways were wonderfully delicious, so who cares, right??? You are making great progress in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurry up Renee, you are two breads away from my favorite BBA bread. http://rosemarygarlicgarden.blogspot.com/2009/09/multigrain-bread-extraordinaire-bba-20.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails