Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Daring Cooks: Food Preservation- Blackberry Freezer Jam

The September 2010 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by John of Eat4Fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John’s source for food preservation information was from The National Center for Home Food Preservation.
I have aspirations for learning to preserve. I love jam. My mother in law makes jam all summer long and one of these years I'm going to learn!

This challenge was very exciting. I decided to do freezer jam. Everyone says it's super simple. Nicole at Pinch My Salt's strawberry freezer jam was so easy she didn't even include a recipe. She just followed the directions on the package. I can do that!
We picked blackberries. I bought some freezer jar containers and followed the directions on the Ball Instant Fruit Pectin package.
Five lovely jars of freezer jam and one small container of leftovers for eating right away. I tried it on my pancakes the next morning. Delicious!!

Maybe next year is my year to learn real canning with cooking, glass jars, and special seals! For sure I'll be making more freezer jam again!!

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautifully gorgeous! This has been my year for breads and learning about those (although I am not stopping with it after this year), and next year I have decided that my new never-before-learned thing is going to be jams, jellies, and preserves. This jar is an inspiration indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails