Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Coffee Cake Showdown: Coffee Cake #2

This coffee cake is credited to my grandma, but it was my mom who made it often. My older sister and brother used to spend every other weekend with my parents. Yes, I'm from one of those complicated divorced families. My mom would begin making this when my dad left to get them and there would be warm coffee cake when the kids arrived for the weekend.

I know this recipe must be old because of ingredients like "fat" and directions like "cook in a moderate oven". It's very similar to the first coffee cake recipe, but this batter what much thicker- more like brownie batter- whereas yesterday's batter was more like cake batter.

Coffee Cake #2
From: Grandma Goodwin
Printable Recipe

Cake:
2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
3 Tbs melted fat (butter)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c sugar
1 c milk

Topping: Double Topping highly recommended
3 Tbs butter, melt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c nuts

Mix cake and put in large baking pan. Put topping on top. Slit thru the batter to allow the topping to seep in. Bake in a moderate oven for 15-20 minutes. (More like 45 minutes.)

4 comments:

  1. Stay tuned!! There's one more recipe tomorrow and then all is revealed on the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. got it! #3 looks great, too! can't wait to hear the verdict!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading these in reverse order...this one looks good, too. I cannot believe that they could pick a favorite looking at the photos so far!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails