Monday, September 20, 2010

Coffee Cake Showdown: Coffee Cake #1

It's time for another Showdown! My cheesecake showdown was so much fun that decided I wanted to do another one when the opportunity presented itself. I'm nearing the end of my recipe box and I noticed two coffee cake recipes. I already have one recipe I made often, but which ones is the best? I invited family and friends over for a tasting party. Let the showdown begin!
I've had this recipe in my recipe box as long as I can remember and I've made it many times. I'm not exactly sure who I got the recipe from, although I do know it was from the 1977 Betty Crocker Cookbook. 1977 was a good year. (I was born that year.)

I had a bit of trouble with the crumble topping this time. It all just seemed into the middle of the cake! After talking to my stepmom who is a great pie maker, I discovered I need to work on my "crumble making technique". 

Coffee Cake #1
Adapted From: Betty Crocker Cookbook 1977
Printable Recipe

Cake:
1/4 c shortening
3/4 c milk
1 egg
1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375. Stir together shortening, milk and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and blend this mix into the other ingredients.

Topping:
1/3 c brown sugar
1/4 c flour
3 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix with a fork until crumbly.

Place in a greased pan (8'' or 9'' square). Bake 25-30 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a coffee cake...very pretty and who could resist a piece of this? Not me, I'm thinking I would definitely want a piece of each of the cakes, and then a week of fine swimming weather to swim off all the goodness!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails