Thursday, September 30, 2010

BBA: Italian Bread

The fifteenth bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is Italian Bread.
This bread begins with a biga that is made the day before. That biga is mixed with flour, salt, yeast, sugar, olive oil, and water to make this delicious bread. I didn't have any malt powder so I omitted it.

I hearth baked again by spraying the walls and with my pan of water. I didn't like hearth baking at first, but I can now get a sense of how much it does and I think I prefer hearth baked breads now.
I preferred this bread to the French bread I just made. Part of what I liked was the shaping. I'm finding I prefer batards to baguettes. I like the doughy middle and with baguettes you get lots of crust.

This bread was fantastic. I ate about five sliced warm with butter on it after it came out of the oven and then shared the rest at dinner. A definite repeat!

1 comment:

  1. I love this bread also. I make it into sub buns and freeze them in baggies individually so the night before I can just grab how many I need for the sandwiches going off to work/school that day...everyone loves it here. Your inside texture is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails