Monday, August 9, 2010

Lemon Squares

A simple lemony dessert.

I made these yummy bars for a get together with a group of friends. We all have toddlers who are 2 1/2 (all born within 6 weeks of each other) and we try to get together once every other month or so. We've been meeting since the kiddos were 3 months old. There's about 8 or 9 families and 4 of us even had our second babies within 4 months of each other.

The pan was just coming out of the oven when I realized our little toddler had a 103 fever. No park for us. Instead of chatting with friends I was catering to a cranky (and demanding) two year old. "I want milk. I want to watch a show. I want to cuddle. I'm very sick."
 
I always try to make lemonade out of lemons and these yummy bars sure brightened my spirits (and taste buds) as I perfected my "mommy makes it all better" magic.

(Another recipe box recipe. I'm almost done with goal #2!) 

Lemon Squares
From: Grandma Goodwin, credited to her friend Charlotte
Printable Recipe
2 1/2 c flour, divided
3/4 c sugar, divided
2 sticks butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
2 c sugar
1/3 c to 1/2 c lemon juice and some grated peel
powdered sugar

1. Combine 2 c flour and 1/2 c sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until it resembles corn meal. Spoon this mixture into a greased 13x9 pan. Press evenly and firmly with fingertips.

2. Bake at 350 for 20-25 min until lightly browned.

3. Combine 1/2 c flour and baking powder. Set aside.

4. Combine eggs, 2 c sugar, and lemon juice and rind. Beat well. Stir in dry ingredients into the egg mixture and pour over baked crust. Bake 350 for 25 min. Cool on rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Lemon, did someone mention lemon???? Way to go, Grandma Goodwin! My these look tempting. Have to make these when I know I am having company and they will be gone at the end of the evening, or you know who would be eating them until they were gone! Lovely, lovely, will give these a try soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails