Thursday, August 5, 2010

Grandma's Sticky Buns

I've never been more excited to complete a recipe. My grandma's infamous sticky buns! I've had this recipe for years in my recipe box but the first four words have intimidated me away for it for almost 15 years. "Soften 1 cake yeast". Having never baked with yeast until beginning the BBA Challenge a couple of months ago, I had no idea what this was or even where to begin, so the recipe just sat.

As it turns out cake yeast is almost impossible to find. I checked with a couple of bakeries, but in the end decided it wouldn't hurt the spirit of the recipe if I substituted. Thank goodness for the internet. I found a yeast conversion site, pulled out my instant yeast, and began baking.
Milk, scalded. That's the first time I've seen that too. Why scald milk? The dough came together easily, doubled nicely, handled great, and rolled out beautifully. Working with it was easy. I wonder if my ease with the dough is because of all my dough practice lately or because my grandma's dough is simply superior to the other baker's doughs. Right now, I'm thinking it's just my grandma.
I used a 10 inch cake pan. As I brushed the butter on the dough and began sprinkling brown sugar on what would be in the inside, I became conservative. The sheer amount of butter and brown sugar was staggering. I did a light sprinkling of brown sugar. Next time, I'll spread it on thick!
These sticky buns were absolutely amazing. The dough is perfect, the sugar topping is perfect, and any day I'm able to enjoy one of these will be perfect. Thank you grandma! I promise to make them again soon and often.
Grandma's Sticky Buns
From: Grandma Goodwin

1 cake yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast)
1 c milk
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c butter
4 c flour
2 eggs
1 tsp salt

Topping:
6 Tbs butter
13 Tbs brown sugar
Karo syrup (no amount specified, I used 1 Tbs)
Nuts (optional)

Inside:
Melted butter for brushing
Brown sugar

1. (If using cake yeast: Soften 1 cake yeast in 1/4 c of water before.) Add yeast to milk, scalded. Add sugar and butter and cool to lukewarm. Butter will melt in hot milk.

2. Add 1 cup of flour and beat well. Allow this sponge to stand until light.

3. Add beaten eggs, salt, and remaining flour. Dough should be easy to handle. Knead until smooth. Let rise until doubled in bulk. (I let rise for 90 minutes.)

4. Punch down and store in fridge or make into rolls.

5. Preparing Pan. Muffins: Prepare muffin pans by spreading thickly with topping mixture. Cake Pan: Spread mixture on the bottom of a cake pan. (I used 10 inch cake pan.)

6. Roll dough out into oblong shape about 1/4'' thick. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Roll jelly roll fashion and cut into 1'' pieces. 

7. Put into muffin tins or cake pan slightly spaced. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk.

8. Bake 425 for 15-20 minutes for tins and 20-25 minutes for cake pan.

Note: Lazy way- do not roll out dough, put small balls of dough into muffin tin with topping and "sticky" will only just be on the outside.

1 comment:

  1. These are amazing; a staple at our Sunday dinners; a favorite of all my friends. My Mom doubled the recipe, and, with luck, they'd last one day. Yum. Thanks for recreating this memory for me. Love...Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails