Monday, August 2, 2010

Fresh Apple Cake

I wasn't going to make this cake. It's a recipe from my Grandma Blackburn. I've only just begun to like apple pie (yes, I know that's odd) and I just didn't think apple in cake would be my thing. I mentioned this to my older sister Angie. She remembered this cake and told me it was a winner. Mental note: Listen to your sister. She's right.
My grandma had tons of apple trees, I wonder if it would constitute an apple orchard. She made incredible applesauce and once when I asked her if I could get the recipe, she just smiled and said she didn't have one. She just takes the apples and makes applesauce.
Don't be fooled. This recipe is basically cooked apples in brown sugar with brown sugar topping. But, how could you go wrong with that?
 
Fresh Apple Cake
From: Grandma Blackburn
Printable Recipe
1/2 c butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c sifted flour
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups finely chopped apples

Topping:
1 Tbs butter
1/2 c brown sugar
Nuts

1. Cream butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Beat in egg. Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture, then stir in chopped apples. Pour into greased 9x9 pan.

2. Make topping. Blend butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Add nuts. Sprinkle over top of cake.

3. Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails