Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chocolate Ice Box Cake

If you want a dessert that lets you pile on the whip cream liberally, I have it for you right here! I remember my mom making this cake when I was a child. Most children seem to have a thing for whip cream. My two year old is already a huge fan.
It's easy enough. Take an angel food cake and cover it in chocolate whip cream followed by regular whip cream. Yes, it's that simple. I think next time I'll try a few things differently. First, I'll reduce the amount of chocolate mixture by adding less whip cream. I had a lot of chocolate whip cream and felt a need to use it all so things got a bit gloppy. Next time I'll use the chocolate mixture primarily as the filling between the layers and then add a thin layer to the top and sides.
I also think I should chill the chocolate mixture for a few hours before putting the whip cream on. I think that might help the spreading. Frosting white over chocolate can be nerve wracking if you don't want chocolate showing through.
The cake is fabulous, even my husband who hates whip cream liked it.
Hey! Who took a fork to the cake! Seriously! That's worse than drinking from the milk carton! Get a plate! Oh, oops, that was me. What can I say, it was a rough day.

Chocolate Ice Box Cake
From: Anne
Printable Recipe

2 bars German sweet chocolate (8 oz)
2 Tbs water
2 Tbs confectioner's sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 pints whipping cream
Angel Food Cake

1. Melt chocolate, sugar, ans water in a double boiler. Beat in egg yolks.

2. Stiffly beat egg whites and fold into chocolate mixture. Let cool. If runny, put in freezer. Remove when thick enough to spread. (Best if it's cold, not just cool.)

3. When cool, add 1/2 pt stiffly beaten whipping cream.

4. Cut angel food cake in half horizontally. Cover the top of the bottom half and replace top half of cake. Cover top and sides with chocolate mixture. Cool in refrigerator.

5. Beat the remaining whipping cream until stiff. Cover cake. Refrigerate.

1 comment:

  1. This was always one of my very favorite recipes. I'd sneak pieces once it was made. Your idea of chilling the choc whip is good. I used to chill the choc whip before I put it on, then chill the cake with the first layer of whip before putting on the white layer. Maybe sometime I'll come over and sneak another tiny piece.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails