Friday, July 30, 2010

Angie's Pumpkin Cake (Cooking with Kids)

Oh my was this recipe an adventure. Distracted baking and mommy-brain almost made this recipe a disaster, but we prevailed. I had some leftover pumpkin from my recently baked pumpkin bread and I thought I'd give this pumpkin cake a try. The recipe came from my sister Angie and Charlotte was eager to help. Here she is doing the big pour.
When you're learning to cook, sometimes you have spills.
Here's her first ever egg cracking. In the end most of it got into the bowl.
Gotta check the batter.

Okay, here's where I almost caused cake disaster. The recipe has you layer the pumpkin mixture on the bottom of a pan and then top it with a yellow cake mix, nuts, and butter in that order. I read yellow cake mix and it did not compute that it meant a cake mix made into batter, so yes, I poured the actual cake mix itself on top of the pumpkin mixture. I put on the nuts and poured on the butter. Here is Charlotte with our creation.
It wasn't until the cake was in the oven for about 3 minutes that it hit me what I did wrong. To make matters worse, I've done this before. There was a biscuit mix incident a couple of months ago when I was making a version of a pot pie where I did the same thing. You'd think I'd learn!! I pulled it out of the oven, scraped the powder into the mixer and added water, oil, and an egg until it was the consistency I'd expect from a cake mix. My nuts just sunk in my cake batter instead of on top.

Update: I talked to my sister Angie and it turns out I had it right the first time! I was just supposed to sprinkle the cake mix straight onto the cake and as it bubbles in the oven it makes the top kind of crumbly. Oops.
Luckily, two year olds don't know live their life by silly rules of perfection. All that matters is that there is cake and that we share it.
No more pictures mama, just eat the cake with me.

Angie's Pumpkin Cake
From: Angie
Printable Recipe

3 c pumpkin
1 can evaporate milk (12 oz)
1 1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix together and pour into 13x9 greased pan.

Sprinkle on top in order:
1. 1 box yellow cake mix
2. 1 c chopped nuts
3. 3/4 c melted butter

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails