Monday, July 5, 2010

Black Bottom Cupcakes

I keep baking my way through the recipes in my recipe box that I've never done before. Here is another one from my grandma. She credits this recipe to her friend Ann. It's a simple chocolate cake with a cream cheese center. I really liked these cupcakes, perhaps even more the second day after the center has had some time to set.

I made the cupcakes and wasn't sure what kind of frosting to put on them as my recipe did not include a frosting. I tried one cupcake and thought about it. I then tried another and another. Soon it seemed silly to make a frosting since there were only a few cupcakes left. A cream cheese frosting seems the most complimentary however I'd love to try something a bit more unexpected. As I ate them I thought that perhaps my improvised marshmallow frosting would also be good on them.
Black Bottom Cupcakes
From: Grandma Goodwin's friend Ann
Printable Recipe

White Mixture
1 egg
1/2 c sugar
1/8 tsp
8 oz cream cheese
1 small pkg semisweet chocolate bits

Mix well until smooth then add chocolate bits and set aside.

Chocolate Mixture
1 1/2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/2 c oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 c water
1 Tbs vinegar

Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix in cocoa. Add water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar. Blend until smooth.

Fill small cupcakes pans 1/2 full. Drop 1 tsp of white mixture into center and bake at 350 for 20 min. (Ann also adds 1 egg to chocolate mixture.)

Notes: This made 12 cupcakes for me but cupcakes were filled about 3/4ths full and I put 1 Tbs of white mixture in instead of 1 tsp.

2 comments:

  1. Grandma Goodwin? If yes, does it say "friend Ann" or just Ann?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Grandma Goodwin. I don't have the original recipe in front of me, I got it from the huge stack you brought me awhile ago. I do remember is was Ann and I think it had a last name too but I couldn't decipher it. Maybe it was Orth?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails