Monday, July 19, 2010

BBA: Cornbread

The tenth bread of the BBA Challenge is cornbread.
The overnight soaker was easy.
The dough mixed together quickly.
And, the bacon baked perfectly.
How could this possibly go wrong? Well, Reinhart has you use the rendered bacon fat to prepare the pan. I like bacon okay, but I was not a fan of the bacon grease flavor this gave the cornbread. A bacon lover would probably love it, but I didn't like it at all. I also found the cornbread itself kind of unremarkable. The crumbled bacon on top was nice though.

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree with your assessment! (Hubby loved it, though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you. When I made it, I did it just as he said and regretted all that bacon grease immediately. It was the one bread that I haven't cared for, because of all that greasy taste. I did like the bits of bacon, though, those were nice...next time, if there is a next time, I am doing muffins with it and no bacon grease. You are making great progress on all the BBA breads...soon you will be caught up with me and then we can bake together! Your photos on this are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this was one of the breads that divided people. I say, stick to your own recipe and move on, which is what most people did. I actually loved the moist texture of the corn-bread, but I hate bits of corn, so I just used half, and it was still too much. Love Corn Bread, hate corn. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails