Thursday, June 10, 2010

Perfect Spice Cake Cupcakes

Dear Grandma,
Today I made your perfect spice cake recipe. I chose to make cupcakes because they are so much fun and perfect for the little hands. Your note said this was a 3 layer cake. I'll have to try that sometime. Even though I realize spice cakes have spices in them, it still felt odd to add cloves to the batter. I just don't associate cloves with dessert. The sea foam frosting was a huge hit here! Austin loves anything brown sugary so brown sugar whipped with egg whites was just up his alley. Thank you for the great treat! I can't wait to bake more of your recipes.
Love, Renee
Perfect Spice Cake Cupcakes
Printable Recipe
2 1/4 c cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cloves
3/4 tsp cinnamon
dash black pepper
3/4 c butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 c buttermilk

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon and pepper in a bowl. In a separate bowl, cream butter thoroughly. Add brown sugar a little at a time. Add sugar and vanilla. Cream until fluffy and grains disappear. When sugar is well incorporated add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Add flour mixture and milk alternately quickly stirring. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Frost with Sea Foam Frosting.

Sea Foam Frosting
2 egg whites
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 tsp corn syrup  
1/3 c water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs through syrup, sugar, and water in a double boiler. Beat for 7 minutes until tick and holds shape. Remove from boiling water and add vanilla. Beat until stiff.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. My very first recipe post on my blog was my great grandmother's spice cake recipe as she was famous for it and the day I first posted was her birthday. Always a soft spot in my heart for spice cake. Always reminds me of her. Your cupcakes look so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails