Monday, June 14, 2010

Daring Cooks: Tricolor Vegetable Pate

Our hostesses this month, Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz, and Valerie of a The Chocolate Bunny, chose delicious pate with freshly baked bread as their June Daring Cook’s challenge! They’ve provided us with 4 different pate recipes to choose from and are allowing us to go wild with our homemade bread choice.
When I saw the Daring Cooks challenge for this month I cringed. Pâté. I feared the liver. I ran from the liver. But, then I saw the vegetable pâté recipe and thought it looked pretty good. I figured I'd give it a try. It's always nice to have another appetizer recipe up your sleeve.
It was super simple to make and simply required some plan ahead time as the dish need to chill for at least 8 hours before unmolding. To be honest, my expectations were not that high. But, I was very pleasantly surprised with the end result. It tasted great and was eaten up quickly.

Tricolor Vegetable Pâté
Printable Recipe

Yields one 10 by 5 inch loaf pan
Line your pan with plastic wrap, overlapping sides.

White Bean Layer

2 cans cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained thoroughly
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
2 garlic cloves, pressed
Mash beans in large bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, oregano and garlic and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread bean mixture evenly on bottom of prepared pan.

Red Pepper Layer
7-ounce jar roasted red bell peppers, drained, chopped
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
Combine peppers and feta in processor and blend until smooth. Spread pepper mixture evenly over bean layer in prepared dish.

Pesto Layer
2 garlic cloves
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
Mince garlic in processor. Add basil, parsley and pine nuts and mince. With machine running, gradually add oil through feed tube and process until smooth. Mix in ricotta. Spread pesto evenly over red pepper layer.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. To unmold, invert pâté onto serving platter. Peel off plastic wrap from pâté. Garnish with herb sprigs and serve with sourdough bread slices.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! What bread did you serve it with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I served a sourdough baguette. I didn't make it even though I was "supposed to" for the challenge, but it was too busy a week and I'm baking lots of bread anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great "pate" and we will make it again. The other pates, probably not, I can't get past the liver thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I agree- always good to have easy appetizer recipes on hand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails