Saturday, June 26, 2010

Chocolate Sheet Cake

My mother's chocolate sheet cake recipe! Double sigh of joy! I think I might be the only person who will bake this cake again after you read about it. It has a very distinct flavor. A distinct flavor I don't like and yet I love this cake. What is that flavor? Baking soda. This recipe calls for nearly 1 tablespoon of baking soda which leaves the cake with a bitter aftertaste. I know what you're thinking. Why does it call for 1 tablespoon of baking soda? That's insane. It must be a misprint. Someone somewhere must have meant 1 teaspoon and accidentally wrote tablespoon. That much baking soda has no business being mixed with chocolate!  And, you know what, I think you're right. But, my mom made this cake this way at a formative moment in my life and for some odd reason I remember it exactly this way and I like it even if everyone else hates it. Please correct the recipe to 1 tsp if you wish to try it yourself as I think I'm the only insane person here today.
The frosting is a winner. The super sweet frosting on top of the slight bitter flavor of the cake is a perfect match to me. Again, it might just be me, but that's okay.

Remember my frosting from the Fudge Bar Cake recipe? I could taste the sugar granules in the frosting and did not like it at all. My mom suggested that perhaps it was supposed to be confectioner's sugar instead of regular sugar. I was skeptical, but after this frosting I'm pretty sure my mom was right. This frosting recipe called for confectioner's sugar and is divine.
Chocolate Sheet Cake
Printable Recipe
2 c sugar
2 c flour
2 stick butter (1 c)
3 Tbs cocoa
1 c water
1/2 c buttermilk
2 eggs
1 Tbs baking soda
1 Tbs vanilla

Sift flour and sugar in a large bowl. In a saucepan mix the butter, cocoa and water. Bring to a rapid boil. Pour over the flour and sugar mixture and stir until mixed well. Add the buttermilk and eggs. Mix. Add the soda and vanilla. Beat for 2 min. Pour into a greased 11x16 pan. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Begin frosting 5 minutes before cake is done.

Frosting for Chocolate Sheet Cake
1 stick butter (1/2 c)
3 Tbs cocoa
5 Tbs buttermilk
1 box of powdered sugar (1 lb)
1 Tbs vanilla
1 c chopped nuts

Cook butter, cocoa, and buttermilk over heat until butter is melted and hot. Remove from heat and add sugar, vanilla, and nuts. Beat well and spread on hot cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails