Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Braised Turnips with Poppyseed Breadcrumbs

What to do with turnips from my CSA box?! Aren't turnips supposed to be a bland and scary root.  Don't people put them in the same category as brussels sprouts? (FYI- I happen to love brussels spouts.) I went in search of a recipe and enjoyed my turnips immensely!
I used the homemade bread crumbs I made earlier.

Braised Turnips with Poppyseed Breadcrumbs
Adapted from: Epicurious.com
Printable Recipe

1 Tbs butter
1/2 lb turnips, cut into 1 inch wedges
3/4 c water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbs olive oil
1 garlic whistle, chopped (or garlic cloves)
1/2 c bread crumbs
2 tsp poppy seeds
Parsley (optional)

1. Melt butter in a skillet. Add turnips, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover for 30 minutes until turnips are tender. Increase heat and uncover. Stir turnips until liquid evaporates and turnips are glazed, about 15 minutes.

2. In a separate skillet, heat oil. Add garlic whistles and stir for 1 min. Add bread crumbs and poppy seeds. Stir until crumbs are golden, about 3-5 minutes. Add parsley if using.

3. Toss bread crumbs with turnips and serve.

2 comments:

  1. These look great...I happen to love turnips, so this hit me right away as "need to do this one!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails