Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes with Almonds and Pears

A little secret about me- I'm not a huge breakfast food lover. Or, perhaps I should say, I'm not a huge breakfast food at breakfast time lover. How is it that doughnuts are a no-no food and white flour fluffy pancakes covered in butter and syrup are a breakfast food? After eating either of these things I know I feel about the same an hour later- on a sugar rush looking for another doughnut.
However, lately I've started trying some new breakfast recipes and focusing on the ingredients being a bit more dense and filling. I found a box of whole wheat pancake mix that I really like and I don't use syrup. I'm sorry. I know it just seems wrong to many to not do syrup on pancakes, but I just can't do it.

This pancake recipe was given to me by my friend Karen. Oatmeal pancakes sure sounded delicious and hearty, however I was a little unsure about the pears. Remember, I'm kind of odd when it comes to fruit in my bread products. I'm also kind of an odd person with things "touching" or "going together" that shouldn't.
We made these pancakes one morning during our vacation in the mountains. I made them with pears on the side, but then my husband and step-mom bravely asked to try one with pears cooked in them. I didn't want to look like a picky eater, so I decided to make my second pancake with pears too.
Oh my were they delicious- both ways in fact! This will sound shocking coming from me, but I think I preferred it with the pears cooked in the pancakes. The oatmeal pancakes themselves were sweet and fluffy. The almonds added a great texture, crunch, and flavor. And, then the addition of the pears was perfect addition I didn't realize the first pancake was missing.

The pears were okay pears, but I can imagine how delicious this recipe would be during pear season with the super juicy pears. Good thing I know someone with a pear tree!

Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes with Almonds and Pears
From: Karen Guillemin
Printable Recipe
2 c old fashioned oats
2 c buttermilk (or 2 c milk and 2 Tbs vinegar or lemon juice)
1/2 c flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
3 Tbs melted butter
1 pear sliced thinly
sliced almonds

1. In a large bowl soak the oats in the buttermilk for 30 minutes or overnight.

2. Stir in eggs and melted butter into the oats.

3. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, powder, and soda. Add these ingredients to the oats.

4. Cook on a heated skillet or fry pan. Pour the batter as you would for a pancake. Sprinkle almonds on cooking pancake and place pear slices on top of almonds before flipping. Flip and cook second side.

1 comment:

  1. These are fantastic! I made them with apples and pecans, and another batch with bananas, cashews and chocolate chips. All great! Thanks for the best swedish oat pancake recipe yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails