Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Modern Baker: Ginger Scones with Almond Topping

These scones are an example of why distracted baking can be a problem. These are ginger scones. Can you guess the one ingredient I forgot? Yep, the ground ginger. I did remember the crystallized ginger. Malgieri warns about dried out crystallized ginger at most supermarkets, but I was short on motivation to look for better ginger or make my own as Petra did for this challenge.

This is my third scone in the Modern Baker Challenge and my least favorite. I just don't like ginger and scones together. I never had ginger much until I started eating sushi a number of years ago. I love the ginger that comes alongside my sushi. When I bit into the scone I immediately started picturing sushi rolls. I wonder if I omitted the crystallized ginger and just used the ground ginger if it would be different. I found cutting up the crystallized ginger to be kind of a pain. It's like cutting up sour patch kids- it's awkward. Now, after completing the scones, I wish I would have really minced the ginger as I am not a fan of the larger chunks I come across.
The almond topping is quite nice! I like the added crunch and flavor it gives.

2 comments:

  1. As much as I love scones, these just didn't sound that great to me, either. I'm not a huge fan of crystalized ginger. Still, I'll probably try them. Love your comparison to cutting up sour patch kids - made me giggle! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the look of the tops of yours...anything crunchy just sings to me, and yours are singing loudly! They look wonderful. I can't wait to try these...LOL on the cutting up the sour patch kids (cruel, just plain cruel!!!!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails