Thursday, May 20, 2010

Modern Baker: Butterscotch Scones

Let me just begin my saying that I'm totally thrilled that Nick Malgieri, the author of The Modern Baker, commented on my blog post! (He's commented on all completed posts so far.) It's really neat he's taken the time to personally connect with our group and having that small connection makes baking from his book all the more fun.
This is another great scone from the Modern Baker Challenge. These scones were made in a desperate attempt not to go buy myself a cookie after a long day. I was trying to adhere to Michael Pollan's Food Rule #39: Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.

A few other Modern Baker bloggers have already tackled this recipe. I remembered Andrea's tip to use butterscotch chips. I must say those were a fantastic addition. However, I forgot Phyl's reminder that this recipe calls for salted butter. Salted butter is used so infrequently in recipes I make that I don't even look for it in a recipe. Nick Malgieri says, "to my mind, good butterscotch always has a hint of saltiness". I agree. I love the combination of salt and butterscotch. I wish I'd remembered to use salted butter or add more salt. I'm interested to know how this alters the flavor. (Hmm, if you don't use salted butter, how much extra salt to you substitute?)

The dough, like all the quick breads, was fast and easy to make. Even though I only have a mini prep food processor I filled it to the max with the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter and then just incorporated the small amount of remaining flour with my Kitchenaid at the end before adding the eggs and cream.

Either my oven or my brain went a bit haywire and I ended up rescuing these scones from a smoky oven. The bottoms were charred but I easily slipped them off my new silpat (I LOVE my silpat) and cut off the bottoms. The rest of the scones were delightful. The flavor was very light so I am glad I added the butterscotch chips. I wasn't necessarily tasting the butterscotch flavor from the dough, but I still thought it was a delicious dough and I'll definitely make these scones again.

5 comments:

  1. Glad I "inspired" you to add butterscotch chips to the dough. I agree, I couldn't detect butterscotch flavor in the plain dough, either. But with the chips they taste wonderful, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! I totally didn't remember to use salted butter . . . I never even look at that anymore . . . hm, everyone loved them so much, I wonder how much MORE they would love them if I'd used the right butter! Oh well, guess it's an excuse to make them again soon! Yours look beautiful! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh...these look really yummy! I have this book, so I'm going to have to try them out soon! Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these but how much more, I would have loved them with the butterscotch chips. Next time.......

    You certainly can't tell you burnt the bottoms. They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are making it really hard to stick to the original recipe when I get to it and NOT add those chips...maybe I will do half and half. Your scones look so good with those chips peeking out...YUM! Another perfect wife award?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails