Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Linguinie with Caramelized Onions

An utterly fantastic dish I received from my friend Katharine. I never knew I loved caramelized onions so much. The recipe calls for a lot of onions (5 to 6) and after cutting up 3 I stopped because my pan was full and I figured that was plenty for two adults and a toddler. The onions cook down quite a bit and I would have had leftovers had a cut up the last two onions. Charlotte liked it too, but was a bit preoccupied with the bread served at dinner. Toddlers. Sigh.
Linguine with Caramelized Onions
From: Katharine Gallagher
Printable Recipe

5 or 6 medium to large onions (about 2 lbs)
1/3 c plus 2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 lb long pasta
Grated or shaved Parmesan cheese

1. Slice the onions thinly. (Food processor slicing disk works well.) Place in a large dry skillet. Cover the pan and turn to medium-low. Check and stir every 5 minutes. The onions will first give off a lot of liquid and then try out.

2. After about 20-30 min, when the onions begin to stick to the pan and brown, add the 1/3 c olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat on medium.

3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt and boiling water and add pasta.

4. Continue to cook onions until they are uniformly brown and soft, almost pasty, about 10-20 minutes more.

5. Add the remaining 2 T of olive oil and little pasta water to the onions. Taste and season as needed.

6. Drain pasta and toss with onions and Parmesan. Serve with more Parmesan at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails