Wednesday, May 19, 2010
From: Katharine Gallagher
5 or 6 medium to large onions (about 2 lbs)
1/3 c plus 2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 lb long pasta
Grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Slice the onions thinly. (Food processor slicing disk works well.) Place in a large dry skillet. Cover the pan and turn to medium-low. Check and stir every 5 minutes. The onions will first give off a lot of liquid and then try out.
2. After about 20-30 min, when the onions begin to stick to the pan and brown, add the 1/3 c olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat on medium.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt and boiling water and add pasta.
4. Continue to cook onions until they are uniformly brown and soft, almost pasty, about 10-20 minutes more.
5. Add the remaining 2 T of olive oil and little pasta water to the onions. Taste and season as needed.
6. Drain pasta and toss with onions and Parmesan. Serve with more Parmesan at the table.