From: Grandma Goodwin
1 c butter
4 (1oz) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped pecans
5 oz miniature marshmallows
1. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or on stove in a heavy pan).
2. In a separate bowl beat eggs. Add sugars and flour and powder. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Add chocolate mixture. Turn into greased 15x10 pan ad bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and immediately spread marshmallows over top (or see note below). Prepare frosting as brownies are toward the end of baking.
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
3 (1oz) squares unsweetened chocolate
2/3 c evaporate milk
1 (1lb pkg) powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Using the same pot as just used, add butter, sugar, chocolate and milk to double boiler. Cook until well blended. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour immediately over hot marshmallows.
2. Let stand 24 hrs before cutting. Freezes beautifully.
Note from Grandma: I have heavy aluminum pans and never use a double boiler- low heat and careful watching and I have the same result. I have trouble getting the icing on and have found it easier not to put the marshmallows on the brownies. Instead, I put the marshmallows in the icing and quickly stir them around just long enough to coat them and then pour onto brownies. This allows the marshmallows to begin to melt, which is good.