Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BBQ Sauce

BBQ. It's that time of year to fire up the grill.

This is my grandma's BBQ recipe. She got it from the Naval Academy chef at the mess hall in Annapolis, Maryland. My grandparents lived in Annapolis and my grandpa was a Physics professor at the Naval Academy. It's likely she got this recipe in the 1940s.

Either the chef or my grandma reduced this recipe for a family portion as I imagine the original recipe serves 500 or more. The one snag with this recipe, as well as some other recipes from her, is that one of the ingredients is not a specific measurement. "One small bottle of ketchup." Hmm. I wonder how many ounces was in a small ketchup bottle at her local A & P? In our super sized world I'm willing to bet that ketchup comes in much larger portions than in my grandma's day.

I bought the smallest ketchup I could- 24oz. Assuming that my grandma's "small bottle" was probably around 10oz, I doubled all the other ingredients. This recipe made enough for dinner the next night (BBQ pork) and a portion to freeze for later.
 BBQ Sauce
From: Grandma Goodwin
Printable Recipe

1 small onion, chopped
2 TBS butter
2 TBS vinegar
2 TBS brown sugar
4 TBS lemon juice
1 c water
1/2 c chopped celery
3 TBS Worcestershire
1 TBS molasses
1/2 TBS dry mustard
1 small bottle ketchup
Salt and pepper

Cook at least 3 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I always doubled or tripled the recipe so I'd have some in the freezer for another time. Did it say on it "cook down for several hours to make it better" ? I vaguely remember Mom and writing that on my copy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails