Friday, April 2, 2010

Wilton Cake Decorating: Course 2

Last month I took Wilton's Cake Decorating Course 1 class. It was so much fun and I had to continue. This month, I took Course 2: Flowers and Borders. We worked with a royal icing this month. Royal icing is basically powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water. It dries hard, almost like little candies. I loved working with royal icing. After each class I went home and made tons of flowers. Now, I have a shoebox full of royal icing flowers just waiting for adorn anything I make in the coming weeks.

Class 1: Rosettes, Rosebuds, and Chrysanthemums
We worked in buttercream this week, but started learning techniques using our flower nails. Rosebuds were kind of challenging. Roses and I just don't get along. I wasn't very good at the Wilton Rose either. I must admit that I started to fear this wasn't for me. I did enjoy Chrysanthemums.

Class 2: Color Flow and Little Flowers
We learned color flow, which is where we outlined a object and then flooded it. The book had us doing birds, but I brought in bunny and Easter egg shapes since I knew these were for our grand finale cake which would be right before Easter. We also learned apple blossom, violet leaves, and violets. I loved these flowers and went home and made tons of them!
Class 3: Big Flowers
We learned the Victorian Rose, which is a lot like the Wilton Rose. I wasn't very good at this one either. I think I should just avoid the roses. We also learned daisies, daffodils, primroses, and my absolute favorite- pansies. But, many of you know I have a special connection to the pansy. I loved these flowers and well and again went home and made a ton.
Class 4: Grand Finale Cake
We learned basketweave and a rope border. Carolyn was right. Basketweave is easier than it looks. I was slightly nervous, but once I got going it really took shape. I even dared myself to try two colors and I'm so happy with how it turned out. We then decorated our cakes with all the flowers we'd made in previous classes.

1 comment:

  1. You did a beautiful job on the cake! My course 2 grand finale cake didn't turn out nearly as pretty. The cake didn't bake right and crumbled all over as I decorated.

    Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails