Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Red Devil's Food Cake with Seven Minute Frosting

This devil's food cake is my grandma's recipe and the seven minute frosting is my mom's recipe. It's quite possible my mom got the frosting recipe from my grandma, but I always remember my mom making this frosting, so I'll credit her with it.
I'm starting to understand why people make their own cakes instead of doing store bough mixes. The cake is delicious, even if the red food coloring is only a token amount- 2 drops.
The frosting is one I remember my mom making often as a kid. I really need to get myself a double boiler, although my improvising has worked well so far, but I keep finding recipes that require one. My only question at the end of this cake making, is how long does it take this frosting to dry? It was still pretty tacky a few hours later when I dove into the cake. I love the creamy lightness of this frosting and it's perfect paired with chocolate cake.

Red Devil's Food Cake
From: Grandma Goodwin
Printable Recipe
1 1/2 c flour, plus 2 Tbs
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 drops of red food coloring

1. Heat oven to 350.

2. Sift dry ingredients into mixer bowl. Add butter, milk and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add each egg and beat after each addition. Add food coloring.

3. Bake 30-45 minutes (depending on pan used).

Seven Minute Frosting
From: Anne McRae
2 egg whites
1 1/2 c sugar
2 tsp light corn syrup
1/3 c water
1 tsp vanilla

1. Beat eggs through syrup in the top of a double boiler. Place over boiling water. Add sugar and water and continue beating with a rotary beater for 7 minutes. Frosting should be thick and hold shape well.

2. Remove from boiling water. Add vanilla and continue beating until stiff.

Notes: Covers 2 layers of cake or 2 doz cupcakes

1 comment:

  1. 7-minute frosting was my Mom's recipe (thanks to Betty Crocker. My brother and I used to fight over licking the beaters. One of my fondest memories is Mom making cakes and making 7 minute frosting. There is a 7-minute frosting called Sea Foam that works on spice cakes. No double boiler for her either-- saucepan in a fry pan that had water in it. Yum. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails