Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Modern Baker: Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread

The Modern Baker Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread was next on my list. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure how I'd like the jalapenos. Before my pregnancy with Penelope, I liked spicy things. But during pregnancy #2, I started avoiding spicy things and I've sort of lost my palate for it. I now buy mild salsa. I'm working my way back up the spicy meter, and this cornbread helped me along the way.

This was the first time I have handled jalapenos. I wish I would have read the directions a bit more carefully as the author recommended using gloves. Luckily, I didn't touch my eye, but the juice did irritate me a bit and it took a good washing to cleanse everything.
The peppers I selected where not super hot so they blended into the cornbread very nicely. This was not only my first homemade cornbread, it was my first cornbread with extra stuff in it. First of all, homemade cornbread is hands down the best. The recipe states that you can use buttermilk, half and half, or milk. I wonder if one reason cornbread gets a bad rap is that people are used to cooking it with half and half and it's not the same to them doing it with just milk. Luckily, I didn't have that issue as I've never made it before. I just used milk, although it is whole milk as I have a young kid in the house.

After this experience though, I can't imagine not adding stuff to my cornbread. The peppers, onions, and cilantro were delicious. I'm a huge cilantro fan so next time I think I'll add a lot more. I wasn't sure if the cornbread would go over with the two year old. She nibbled on it a little and seemed to like it, but she didn't eat much for dinner at all tonight so it's hard to gauge. The adults gobbled it up and went back for thirds. It was a fantastic dish that I can't wait to do again. It would be perfect for a potluck!

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to get to this one as it just looks so pretty with all that yellow and green...like spring! Yours looks wonderful. I love reading how you make a little adjustment here and there in a recipe and how that all turns out. I learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this bread a LOT! Yours looks fantastic! After my BBA Challenge cornbread disaster I was a bit hesitant to make this recipe but I'm really glad I went for it. I should have added more chile peppers, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at how many of the quick breads you have done. I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails