Monday, April 19, 2010

Modern Baker: Chocolate Spice Bread

My second bread for the Modern Baker Challenge is Chocolate Spice Bread. As far as I'm concerned, chocolate is one of the great joys and pleasures of life. If I were to bake the breads for this challenge in at a slow pace, I would have waited a week to bake the next bread, however, seeing that it was a chocolate recipe, I made it the very next day.

Did you know there are two different kinds of cocoa powder? Alkalized (Dutch processed) cocoa and natural cocoa.  I learned all about it since I had the wrong kind in my cupboard and had to go out and buy alkalized cocoa powder for this recipe. At first I thought of just substituting, but after researching the differences I realized they are very different cocoas.

The directions again were simple and I ,of course, had to throw in a bit of scatter brained-ness to make things interesting. I was quickly trying to complete this recipe while the girls napped and I read the directions very quickly. I totally forgot the spices (ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg)! Luckily, the bread had only been in the oven for about 3 minutes when I realized my mistake. I scooped the batter back into the Kitchenaid and added the spices.
The bread smelled fantastic and tasted wonderful. I loved the flavor the spices gave it, in particular the cinnamon and ginger. I think next time I'd even add a bit more spice because I liked the combination so much. It felt very decadent for a dinner bread, but we all happily ate it. My two year old asked for "more cake, please" after finishing her piece. It's a definite do over.

2 comments:

  1. Oops, had not a clue you could not interchange the cocoa powders. Mine turned out fine, in fact the guys devoured it all in record time. Yours looks lovely. I like your bread pan, how it has a place to really hold onto it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun how many new things you learn when you join a baking challenge? I also just recently learned that there were 2 types of cocoa, I don't think, though, we have natural cocoa powder in Germany. I've never seen it. I just made this bread today and am not really thrilled. It's ok, but not moist enough for my tastebuds. We'll see what my kids will say tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails