Sunday, April 4, 2010

Homemade Marshmallow Peeps

Homemade peeps. Yes, I made my own marshmallow! I think this qualifies me for wife of the year. Austin's favorite desserts can be summed up as jelly beans and marshmallows. I like marshmallow, but I'm more of a marshmallow s'mores kind of girl.
Inspired by post on The Kitchn which references Martha Stewart's Recipe for the Peeps. I followed some of the tips from The Kitchn's site. I agree on using a large piping bag and I'd further state that you should be ready to pipe quickly! The marshmallow starts setting up fast.
I did her suggestion of using cocoa and a toothpick for the eyes. I understand why it's easier than making a whole batch of royal icing, but I think next time I'll try the icing.
The difference between homemade peeps and those you buy in the store is amazing. These are so light and fluffy. Even though I'm not a huge marshmallow person, I've found myself circling back for more.

Now that I've made them I'm sure Austin will be tapping me for all kinds of marshmallow treats. Hmm, what's the next holiday? Tax Day Peeps perhaps?

Homemade Marshmallow (for piping)
Printable Recipe

1 packet unflavored gelatin (2 1/2 tsp)
1/3 c water for gelatin, plus 1/4 c water 
1 c sugar

1.  In the bowl you plan to use with the electric whisk, sprinkle the gelatin over 1/3 c of water. Let gelatin soften and sit for 5 min.

2. In a saucepan, heat 1/4 c water and sugar until sugar is dissolved and mixture registers 238 degrees, or soft ball stage, on a candy thermometer.

3. Pour sugar into gelatin mixture. Whisk by hand using the whisk attachment a few times to cool the mixture slightly. Then, attach the whisk and beat on medium high until soft peaks form, about 10 minutes.

4. Transfer marshmallow to pastry bag and begin piping.

Notes:
For Chicks and Bunnies: Use Tip #11
Pipe chick in two stages. 1- the body ending with tail. 2- the head ending with beak
Pipe bunnies in 5 stages. 1- round mound for body. 2- round in front for head. 3- smaller round in back for tail. 4 and 5 - two ears.
For Stars: Tip 1M

1 comment:

  1. These look amazing. I won't need to buy them at the store anymore! I probably won't make the peeps because it seems a little complicated.

    JACKIE AT PHAMFATALE.COM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails