Monday, April 12, 2010

Fudge Bar Cake

I love some of these recipes from my grandma that have minimal information. This recipe is from a friend of hers.  This one simply states "mix and bake" at the end. No other information. It sure makes the kitchen an adventurous place!!

The cake part of this is great. It makes me excited to learn other cakes from scratch. It is certainly far superior to boxed cake mix. I had some chocolate squares left over from another dessert and used those. They were semi-sweet squares not bittersweet. The recipe didn't specify, but I assume it was supposed to be bittersweet because there is a lot of sugar added to the recipe and that's what my mom always used when I was a kid.

I did not like the frosting. I'm not sure if it was baker error or just not to my liking. I'm thinking it was partly baker error as I doubt you are supposed to feel the sugar granules in the frosting. I think that perhaps I brought it to a boil too quickly and thus didn't give the sugar long enough to dissolve. Maybe instructions about waiting for the sugar dissolved were just assumed.

The frosting recipe stumped me on the "beat until thick" part because it hasn't told me if I was doing this over the heat or away from the heat. I tried over the heat for a bit and nothing seemed to be happening and then it hit me that frosting is runny when hot and creamy when at room temperature. I let the frosting cool and it came to the right consistency.

Update: I'm now convinced the sugar in the frosting recipe should have been confectioner's sugar instead of regular sugar.

I decided to take the photograph outside on our bench. Charlotte was supervising the photo shoot and I had Penelope in the Ergo as she was having a rough afternoon. I left the cake on the bench and ran back inside to put down my camera. I came back out to this and ran back in to get my camera again.
Fudge Bar Cake (as written)
Lois Lee's (friend of Grandma Goodwin)
2 sq chocolate cut in bowl. Pour over 1/2 c boiling water. Cool. Sift 1 c cake flour, 1 c sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp soda. Add it to the choc. Drop in 1/4 c shortening. Beat. Add 1/4 c sour milk or 1/4 c sweet milk plus 1/2 Tbs vinegar. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla. 1 egg. Mix and bake.

Fudge Bar Cake
Printable Recipe

2 squares chocolate
1/2 c boiling water
1 c cake flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 c shortening
1/4 c sour milk (or 1/4 c milk + 1/2 Tbs vinegar)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

1. Cut up chocolate square into chunks. Pour water over chocolate. Cool.

2. Sift flour, sugar, salt, and soda. Add it a little at a time to the chocolate and mix well.

3. Add shortening and beat well. Add milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix well.

4. Bake 350 for 25-30 minutes in an 8x8 pan.

Chocolate Frosting
1 square chocolate
1 c sugar (confectioner's)
1/3 c milk
1/4 c shortening
1/4 tsp salt

1. Bring to a boil, stirring. Boil 1 minute and add 1 tsp vanilla. Beat until thick.

Double recipe for a full cake.

1 comment:

  1. My grandma always made this cake and it is a family favorite! I am trying to reproduce it now that she is no longer with us. The recipe card she left me is very similar to the one you have posted, but with slightly different ingredient measurements. I'm sure it must have come from the same place! My grandma told me once that she got this recipe off of the side of a can of Oleo in the 1940's.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails