Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Broccoli Sauteed in Wine and Garlic over Bulgur

I had huge trepidations about this recipe while making it. Partway through cooking I started planning what kind of pizza I'd be ordering out. I chose this recipe because I had a lot of leftover bulgur after trying tabbouleh. I also like broccoli and had never cooked in wine before so I thought it sounded like an adventure.

The bulgur was very easy to make and absolutely delicious. It was better than rice and the almond slivers were a fantastic addition. The bulgar will be a do over meal.

The broccoli is basically cooked and steamed in wine. It wasn't until I was making the recipe that the whole, "how much alcohol is really cooked off" thought hit me as I had been planning to feed this meal to a two year old. I did a little googling and found a site that made me feel okay about the alcohol situation, but I was really second guessing tackling this meal. In addition, the smell of the broccoli cooking in the wine was not very appealing to me. It's hard to describe, it just smelled off. I chose to cook in a Chardonnay. I am more a red wine drinker and usually we have a white wine bottle laying around.

The results were a bit surprising to me. It was delicious. The flavor the wine gave the broccoli was sweet and unexpected. In addition, the lemon zest on top of it all really gave a wonderful finish. The recipe called for the zest of one orange too, but earlier this week when Charlotte pointed at our last orange and said, "I want d'at", I totally forgot I needed it for cooking. I'm not sure I'll cook quite like this in wine again for awhile, but I was pleased my first experience with wine turned out well.

Broccoli Sauteed in Wine and Garlic over Bulgur
Adapted from RecipeZaar
Printable Recipe
Bulgur
1/2 c onion, finely chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
1 c bulgur
1 c boiling water
1/3 c slivered almonds
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. In a saucepan, saute onion. Add bulgur and saute for 2 minutes.

2. Pour boiling water over bulgur, remove from heat, and let sit for 25 minutes.

3. Fluff with a fork and add the almonds, salt, and pepper. Serve with broccoli.

Broccoli
6 Tbs olive oil
4 garlic cloves
3 lbs broccoli, cut into stalks
1 c dry white wine
1 Tbs hot red pepper flakes
1 lemon, zested
1 orange, zested

1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and garlic over medium meat.

2. Add the broccoli and toss in garlic mixture until coated. Add the wine gradually and cook until broccoli is tender (10 minutes).

3. Add the red pepper and zests and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! Try this broccoli-cauliflower gravy ... you might like it.

    http://www.vegrecipes4u.com/broccoli-cauliflower-gravy.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails