Tuesday, March 23, 2010

White Vegetarian Lasagna

I really thought this recipe was going to fail. Not due to any issue of the recipe writer, but due to my own mistakes. First of all I bought the wrong squash. It called for summer squash and I came home with acorn squash. There is quite a bit of difference between those two. I didn't have a ton of time, so instead of properly baking the squash to soften it, I chopped it up in my food processor and then sauteed it for about 10 minutes. It turned out okay. I actually think acorn squash could be quite delicious in this recipe, especially if I cooked it "properly" first.

Since I had the food processor out and was short on time (at least short of kids playing happily while I cooked time), I also chopped the mushroom and onions. It was good, but the consistency in a lasagna of sliced vs food processed mushrooms is different. And, I also just used minced garlic and left it in.

Finally, I messed up the roux a bit. I'm new to making roux and not only did I overcook it a bit, but I poured the roux into the milk instead of the other way around. It might not make a difference, but I've read some places that the roux is the key to the dish, so doing the roux wrong make me think it would make the dish different.

The recipe was good, but was a bit too fussy for me on the directions.

White Vegetarian Lasagna
Adapted from Whipped Blog
Printable Recipe 
1 pkg lasagna noodles
2 1/2 c whole milk
1 c vegetable broth
6 cloves garlic, sliced
3 Tbs butter
5 Tbs flour
1 c Parmesan cheese, grated
Pepper and salt
4 Tbs olive oil
1 lg zucchini, cut in 1/4 slices
1 lg summer squash, but in 1/4 slices (I used acorn squash and pureed it instead)
1 bag spinach
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1 small onion, diced

1. Cook lasagna noodles. Use a small amount of olive oil so they do not stick.

2. Heat milk and broth in a saucepan until simmering. Add garlic, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.

3. Saute each of the zucchinis individually until they are just tender and set aside. Then saute mushrooms and onions. Use small amount of olive oil to saute each vegetable. Finally, add spinach to pan and heat until just slightly wilted.

4. Assemble the lasagna in a 9x13 pan. Spread 1/2 c of sauce on bottom of pan. Then, layer in this order: noodles, zucchini, 1 c of sauce, noodles, mushrooms and onions, 1/3 c Parmesan cheese, noodles, spinach, 1 c white sauce, 1/3 c Parmesan cheese, noodles, the remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.

5. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 - 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails