Saturday, March 20, 2010

Smothered Burritos

This recipe came to me from my friend Wendy. She's a busy mom with a toddler, so I knew it was probably easy to make and toddler approved.

I do have one question regarding ground beef. How does everyone drain the grease from the pan? I browned up my meat and then spent way too long trying to drain all the liquid into a glass while precariously holding off the ground beef from spilling everywhere.  Then I tried Austin's trick of soaking it up with a paper towel and promptly burned myself a bit. I'm still trying to get the hang of cooking meat.

I totally forgot to use my Cuisinart and chop up the onion and tomatoes and I then forgot to put the cheese in the burritos (big laugh!), so I just spread it out all over the top. Luckily, this recipe is pretty forgiving to alterations.

These were yummy and we had lots of leftovers for lunches the next couple of days.

Smothered Burritos
From: Wendy Walker
Printable Recipe
1 pkg flour tortillas
1 lb ground beef
1 can refried beans
1 pkg cream cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
1 can sliced black olives
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 large can tomato sauce
1 c picante
1 c water
1 c lettuce, shredded
1 c tomatoes, diced
Sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 dish.
2. Brown beef in skillet.
3. Fill each flour tortilla with approx. 2 Tbs each of ground beef, refried beans, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, black olives, onion tomato sauce, and picante.
4. Roll tortillas and place in dish until full.
5. Pour 1 c water over all tortillas.
6. Pour remaining sauce and picante over the top of the tortillas
7. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min.
8. Serve warm with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and top with sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renee,
    Got grease? Push the ground beef to one side of the pan and slightly tip the pan away from the beef. The grease will run down to the other side where you can use a large soup spoon to dip it out. If you have an adult helper, they can tip or dip for you.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails