Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rainbow Cake


Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
I have been so excited to do this cake for St. Patrick's Day ever since I saw it PlayingHouse. It was great fun to make, especially because it was a surprise! No one knew what was on the inside until we cut into it.
It's actually pretty easy to make.  I adapted the process from another food blogger at Omnomicon. I started with a white cake mix. I divided the batter into 6 bowls. It came out to about 2/3 cup per color. I then used food coloring to make each color.  I used the standard food coloring (4 color set), although I've decided I need a box of fun food coloring (12 colors).
I used 8' cake pans and put a 1/3 cup scoop into the middle of each pan. Each color built upon the next. One pan I worked from red to purple and the other I did the opposite.
Then, I got to decorate! I used my new icing and decorating skills and had some fun. The cake didn't totally cooperate with me, which was a good experience. The icing just wouldn't smooth out for me and I think I might have made my icing a bit too thin.
I also used a new icing recipe from my cake class instructor. It's a snow white buttercream. It was really yummy and I tasted more than I should have while decorating.
I worked quickly so that all of the cake was covered up before Austin or Charlotte got home. The inside was a surprise!
I'm so happy with how it turned out. Charlotte's face totally lit up when she saw the rainbow inside. What fun! This could be our fun yearly cake for St. Patty's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails