Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Linguine with Asparagus and Pine Nuts

I love pasta. I could eat pasta almost every day of the week. I'm sure partly because of this, I've gotten a bit tired of tomato sauce spaghetti meals. I like finding simple alternative meals with pasta.

I used whole wheat pasta in the meal. I've been making a real effort to switch from white to brown grains lately. I now buy brown rice and try to always buy whole wheat pastas. I rarely miss the white pasta anymore. I'm a convert and love the flavor of the whole wheat. I'm still working on the healthy grains in the bread aisle. That could a whole post on it's own. I get so confused between all the whole wheats and  whole grains. Most of the whole wheats seem like just like white bread but with brown color. And, in the rice aisle. I know brown rice is better for you than white rice, but what about jasmine rice? It has a distinct flavor that is fun to use. Is it as bad for you as basic white rice?

Linguine with Asparagus and Pine Nuts
Adapted from Real Simple Magazine
Printable Recipe

12 oz linguine (3/4 box)
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c pine nuts
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 c shaved Parmesan

1. Cook the pasta. Set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and garlic, stirring frequently, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.

3.Add the asparagus mixture to the pasta along with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the Parmesan before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails