Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Honey Ice Box Cookies

Another recipe from my grandma's recipe box. This was her mother's cookie recipe, so my Great Grandma Curry's cookies. A note on the recipe says my Great Grandma Curry would often make these and that she'd put the pan in at the beginning of dinner and they'd have hot cookies for dessert.

The cookies are light and the honey makes them not as sweet as other cookies- in a good way. The honey is a nice flavor.  I think substituting maple syrup would be really yummy too.

I called my mom while making these because I wanted to clarify something. The recipe had me rolling the dough into a log and putting it in the fridge to chill to baking it. I was pretty sure I was supposed to slice the log into cookies. That's one of the fun things around reading older recipes- the small, yet possibly important omissions. To my great grandma it would seem obvious.  I also love that the recipe states they should be cooked in a moderate oven. I think that's right around 350.

Honey Ice Box Cookies
From: Great Grandma Curry
Printable Recipe
1/2 c honey
1/2 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 c butter
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 c nuts
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

1. Cream ingredients- honey, sugar, and butter.  Add eggs, dry ingredients, and nuts.

2. Shape into a long narrow roll and chill for a day or two to ripen. Wrap in wax paper.

3. Bake in moderate oven for 10-12 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails