Thursday, February 4, 2010

Great Grandma's Baking Powder Biscuits

These biscuits are my great grandma Harriet's recipe. (Grandpa Goodwin's mom) My mom told me that Grandpa Goodwin used to tell my Grandma that she just couldn't make the biscuits quite like his mama could. I wonder what he would have thought of my attempt.

The biscuits are really basic, as would make sense for a woman cooking in the Depression. I thought they tasted a bit salty, but they don't call for a ton of salt, just 1/2 tsp. I think I was tasting all the baking powder. They were fun to do, but I'm not sure I'll be repeating them much. I'd much rather learn to make some yummy whole grain biscuits.

I went through a bunch of old recipes of my grandma's and it was interesting to see the progression of the word butter. I have recipes that call for oleo, shortening, Crisco, and margarine. Very few call for butter. I wonder if it's because butter was not around or very expensive. There isn't any reason I can't substitute butter for these words right? 


Baking Powder Biscuits 
From: Great Grandma Harriet Goodwin's
Printable Recipe
2 c flour
4 tsp baking powder
2/3 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs shortening

Sift dry ingredients, cut in shortening, add milk.  Pat down on floured board and cut out wit biscuit cutter or glass. (Grandma Goodwin always used top of a glass.)  Bake 12-15min in 450 oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails