Saturday, February 6, 2010

Turkey Loaf

What was I thinking? I hate meatloaf. Seriously, what possessed me to tear this recipe out of the magazine? I would have just thrown it out, but I already bought all the ingredients. It didn't even occur to me at the grocery store that I hate meatloaf?! Where is my brain. The prep was terrible too because really the best way to mix everything is to use your hands and that was just gross. I did it though and it's ready to go in the oven. For the future though I should really try and remember to plan recipes I like the idea of.

I took one bite. The flavor was good, but I just don't like meat loaf. I just couldn't get over the fact that it was a big slab of mashed meat. I heated up the leftover fish chowder for my dinner. Austin liked it a lot and ate his and my plates. He said it's a 4 star meal for him. Charlotte even liked it and asked for more. If you like meat loaf, I think this recipe is a winner. If you don't, this recipe won't change your mind.

Turkey Loaf
Adapted from Parents Magazine article
Printable Recipe

2 eggs
2 Tbs brown mustard
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c ketchup, divided
2 lbs lean ground turkey
3/4 c Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400. Spray an 11x9 baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add the mustard, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and 1/2 c ketchup. Stir together. Add turkey and bread crumbs. Mix until combined. (Do not over mix as the meatloaf will turn out dry.) Transfer mixture to baking dish and form into a loaf. (Approx. 10x5 size) Spread the remaining ketchup over the top. Bake until a meat thermometer registers 165. (About 45 minutes.) Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails