Saturday, February 27, 2010

Romance Cookies

This recipe came out of my grandma's recipe box.  It's titled a cookie, but it's really a bar.  I always enjoy trying a recipe from my grandma's box.  There is something so fun about doing a recipe that she obviously liked enough to keep. As I made the cookie I pictured her in Annapolis in her home of over 30 years with newspaper and bushels of crabs piled up on the kitchen table, the stick of soft butter that sat out 24/7 on the counter next to the salt shaker with the largest holes I'd ever seen on a salt shaker. I pictured my grandma sitting around her table chatting with her friends and exchanging recipes.  And, here I am making one of those recipes.
In true Renee fashion, I didn't fully read the instructions until I got going.  The recipe calls for a jelly roll pan, which I do not own.  Instead I used a 9x13dish.  I hate recipes that say "do not over-bake".  When it's the first time you've make the recipe you have no idea where that line is.  I paced the kitchen as the oven buzzer went off.  The center still seemed gooey, but the top seemed done.  Was this how the cookie was supposed to be?  Was it still not done? Since the top seemed done and I didn't want to "over-bake" I took it out.  They're sure yummy!  I refuse to admit how quickly the pan of bars was eaten.

Romance Cookies
From: Grandma's Recipe Box, credit to Jackie Miller
Printable Recipe
1 c butter
2 c flour (for cookie layer)
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 Tbs flour (for topping)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c shredded coconut
1 c chopped nuts (pecans)
confectioner's sugar

1. Cream butter until soft.  Blend in 2 c flour, sugar, and salt. (Mixture is loose ad lumpy.) Spread mixture in even layer in ungreased jelly roll pan 15x10-1. Bake at 350 for 10 min (top will not be brown). 

2. While cookie layer bakes, beat eggs until light and fluffy.  Stir in brown sugar, 2 Tbs flour, baking powder and vanilla. Beat until thick and smooth. Fold in coconuts and nuts. 

3. Carefully spread egg mixture over baked cookie layer.  Return to oven for 20 more minutes or until golden brown and firm on top (do not overbake). 

4. Remove from pan and cool on large wooden board. (I don’t know how to get such a large thing out of pan, so I don’t.) Dust lightly with confectioner’s sugar. Cut into squares with very sharp knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails