Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fish Chowder

The soup was easy to make and definitely yummy. It's a slightly expensive soup as it calls for two pounds of fish and I bought about a pound of sausage (4 links) too. I'd do less sausage next time ( just a personal taste). I cut the sausage out of the skin thing it's in and just cooked it more like ground beef. I need to find the "bulk sausage" that my friend Sarah was telling me about. They I don't have to deal with that gross shrink wrap stuff on the sausage at all. Cutting up the fish was easy. I have a lot less issues around touching fish than I do other meats. Maybe it's because I remember watching my dad "clean" trout after we caught it. Fish just isn't as gross to touch. I did have to check in with my mom as I thought it odd I was dumping raw fish into the pot. It felt like contamination or something. It disturbed my senses a bit, but it was right and I cooked the soup a good long time after it went in so I knew it was done. It was good soup! And, it make a ton! We'll be eating on it for a few day which will be really nice. Austin gave hit a huge thumbs up.

Fish Chowder 
From: Anne McRae 
Printable Recipe

One package of Trader Joe’s Chicken Sausage:  Garlic & herb flavor
1 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
4 leeks
28 or 32 oz can diced tomatoes (I used two pints I canned)
salt and pepper
2 pounds firm white fish (I used cod) cut into 2-inch pieces
a bunch of basil  (recipe calls for ½ cup fresh flat-leaf basil; I did not have any so used a bunch of basil)
parsley (optional)

In a large pot, brown the sausage over a medium high heat, 1 to 2 minutes.  Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the potatoes, tomatoes (with their juices), 3 cups water, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add basil. Cover and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the fish and simmer gently until opaque throughout, 5 to 6 minutes.  (Stir in the parsley here if you use it.)

I extended all the cooking time and cooked it for hour or 1 ½ hours. Can be kept in refrigerator for 3 days.  Not good frozen.

1 comment:

  1. Oleo was a brand of margarine. Crisco a brand name for a shortening... a chemical kind of lard. Butter was around on farms; in the city it was very expensive. Grandma used margarine or Crisco until I was in high school. Even then we used butter only on the table for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails