Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Falafel Cucumber Sauce

I'm not a frying person.  I discussed this during my Eggplant Parmesan meal.  Generally, I'd rather find another way to cook the food.  However, I do acknowledge that some foods just taste better fried.  For me, falafels need to be fried. I've tried baking them and they're just not the same.  I figured I really should try frying something for this whole food experiment thing, so why not do it tonight with the falafels.
 
I found recipes to make falafels completely from scratch, but that would have been a bit much for this week and I already had a box of Casbah Falafel Mix in the cupboard.  For those that aren't familiar with falafels, they're patties of chickpeas and spices.  I found frying quite exhilarating. I see why people get into it. I certainly don't want to get used to it as it's not the healthiest way to cook, but it was great fun.

The sandwiches were fantastic! One day I might try making the falafels themselves from scratch.  I did make the Cucumber Sauce for the first time.  It really was the tipping point for the meal.  Falafels can be sort of, I dunno, dry.  Not dry in a bad way, but it's more that falafels just are dry so the rest of the items in the sandwich needs to balance out the dryness.  The sauce helped with that.  Some recipes also called for using a Tahini sauce.  We didn't have Tahini in the house.  We'll try that next time. Oh yes, there will be a next time. 

Falafel Sandwiches
Printable Recipe

Whole wheat pita bread
Falafels
Cucumber Sauce
Hummus
Lettuce
Cucumber, sliced
Red Peppers

Cucumber Sauce
Adapted from Sean's Falafel and Cucumber Sauce on All Recipes
1 (6 ounce) container plain yogurt
1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1. In a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those look amazing and I don't usually like them. I will have to rethink that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails