Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

Another departure from the dreaded meat.

I actually prepped this meal yesterday while I was making the goulash and had it sit in the fridge all day and then just popped it in the oven tonight. It worked well preparing ahead. This was the my first time dealing with eggplant. I had no idea what to expect when I cut the eggplant open. I got 3 eggplants, but 2 were plenty for my pan.

During the part where it says to cover in egg and bread crumbs and then brown I did struggle a bit. I couldn't get it to brown the way I expected. I happened to have my mother in law Judy on the phone with me at the time and I asked her about it. She asked me if I was using olive oil in the pan too and I said yes. Then it hit me what I was doing wrong. See, I don't come from much of a "frying" background. Putting olive oil in the pan to me translates to spraying the pan with olive oil spray. I realized what I was supposed to do was put a lot of oil in the pan. I tried it a bit but I was very disturbed by how much oil kept disappearing. (Not only just for cost- olive oil is expensive! But also for health- that's a lot of oil going into each eggplant!) I'm sure I was using about 1/4 of the oil that would be recommended anyway. So about 1/2 my pan was semi- correctly fried eggplant and the other half wasn't. After it all cooked in the oven- I couldn't tell the difference.

This was another good dish. I found it delicious and the only reason I'm giving is 3 stars instead of 4 is because of the frying aspect. I'd love to play around the recipe and omit the frying aspect all together. Maybe baking them?

Eggplant Parmesan 
From: Judy Bailey 
Printable Recipe

Olive Oil
3-4 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced 1 in. thick
6 tomatoes, sliced (optional- peeled)
12 mushrooms, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour or seasoned bread crumbs
1 qt marinara sauce
Parmesan cheese, grated
Mozzarella cheese, sliced for top

Heat oil.  Cook mushrooms. Drain.
Dip eggplant sliced into egg then flour, brown in oil.
In casserole dish, layer- marinara sauce, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes, grated cheese.  Fill casserole dish with marinara sauce.  Place mozzarella slices on top.  Keep covered. For toasted top, uncover last 5 min. Bake 350 for 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. broiling. Which leads me to ask, have you ever broiled?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails