Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

I made a Cranberry Upside Down cake for dessert tomorrow. I had to hunt a bit for cranberries since it's not the holidays but I found a bag of frozen cranberries at the grocery store.  I'd never had red currant jelly before and it's now a new favorite.  I think currants and huckleberries must be closely related because it reminded me of huckleberries.

I was a little confused by some of the directions- like butter the bottom of the pan with 3 Tbs of butter. That's a lot of butter! I very very generously greased the bottom of the pan, but I still had plenty of butter left. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Printable Recipe


1/4 stick (6 T), plus 3 T unsalted butter
1 lb cranberries- rinsed, picked over and patted dry
 1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange rind, minced
1 1/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c milk
1/3 c red currant jelly

Butter the bottom of a 9' cake pan with 3 T of butter, sprinkle 1/2 c sugar evenly over the bottom and arrange the cranberries in the pan.

In a bowl with mixer, cream together remaining 1/4 stick of butter and 1/2 c sugar. Add egg, vanilla, orange rind and beat until well combined.

In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.

Stir in dry ingredients into the butter mixture, 1/2 c at a time, alternately with the milk until just combined.  Pour batter over cranberries and smooth top.  Bake cake on a cookie sheet in middle of the oven for 1 hour or until well browned at 325. Transfer to wire rack and cool 20 min. Invert cake.

In a small saucepan, melt the currant jelly over low heat, stirring constantly.  Brush it over cake.  Serve warm with whip cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails