Saturday, February 20, 2010

Baked Salmon Cakes

I planned this meal because I knew we'd have extra salmon after yesterday's meal.  I grew up eating my grandma's crab cakes and loved them!  I wanted to find a recipe that baked the cakes more than fried them.  The recipe was easy and delicious.

I made a lemon dill sauce to go with it.  Delicious! It was just mayonnaise, dill, and lemon juice.

I love my Cuisinart.  How have I survived in the kitchen without one.  I actually got rid of my last Cuisinart because it was too big and I never used it.  It was a dust collector.  I didn't miss having one for quite awhile.  Then, I started this cooking experiment and I needed one.  I got a mini one.  I've had it a week and already used it three times.  It's so much fun I'm looking for stuff to chop.  I'm sure the newness will wear off at some point, but for now here's to chopping!

Baked Salmon Cakes
Adapted From Easy Salmon Cakes
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 cups cooked salmon (15 ounces canned salmon, drained)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 3/4 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges
    1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.

    2. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a skillet over med-high. Add onion and celery and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and remove from heat.

    3. Place salmon in a bowl. Remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard. Mix. Add onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper. Mix.

    4. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.

    5. Heat remaining 2 tsps oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.

    6. Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Related Posts with Thumbnails