Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baked French Toast

We made this for lunch instead of breakfast and it was sure yummy. I got french bread instead of italian bread ad I think it would have been better to have a smaller denser bread overall. I was only able to get about 7 pieces of bread in the pan. We had to up the cooking time because it took longer for the french bread pieces to cook. And, I'd definitely recommend buttering the bottom of the pan generously. I only did a light coating and my bread stuck.

I was hungry and annoyed it was taking longer so I was preemptively giving this dish a lower mark in my head, but then I tasted it. So yummy! The maple syrup really takes it up a notch too. I don't use much maple syrup in my life because I just can't do syrup in the morning. This would be fantastic for brunch. I think we should eat more brunch!

Baked French Toast
From: Katharine Gallagher
Printable Recipe

1 (13- to 14-inch-long) loaf soft supermarket Italian bread
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar (or more)
Accompaniment: maple syrup

Butter a 13-by-9-inch glass-baking dish. Cut twelve 1-inch-thick diagonal slices from bread (reserve ends for another use). Generously butter one side of each slice and arrange slices buttered sides up in one layer in buttered dish, squeezing them slightly to fit if necessary.

Whisk together eggs, milk, and salt in a bowl until well combined, then pour evenly over bread. Refrigerate, covered, until bread has absorbed all of the custard, at least 1 hour (time may vary depending on bread). The soaked bread can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, bring soaked bread to room temperature.

Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 425° F. Sprinkle bread with sugar. Bake until bread is puffed and top is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately, with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails