Saturday, January 30, 2010

Two Golden Angel Cakes

Two. Yes, I made two. I screwed up the first one and I just had to do it right, so I made two. We'll be doing a taste test tonight to see which one is better.

Cake #1: I didn't read the directions closely enough and instead of beating the egg whites separately until they became stiff peaks and then folding the egg whites into the rest of the batter, I accidently just added the egg whites directly to the batter. I decided to go ahead and bake the cake anyway and just see if it came out. It did, but it's about 1/2 the size of the correct angel cake.

Cake #2: A correctly made angel food cake.

It's obviously important to read directions carefully when cooking, but today I also realized it's very important to write down the directions correctly as well. My recipe states that I bake the cake for 6 minutes. When cake #1 was obviously taking a lot longer than that to cook I wondered if part of the reason was because of the egg white mix up. Nope, in cooking cake #2, I realized my recipe is just wrong. I confirmed it by looking up a recipe online too. Angel food cakes take about 30 minutes to cook. Where on earth did I get 6 minutes??

I also made Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies for our Birth To Three get together tomorrow night. The secret ingredient was rice crispies. They're pretty good!

Golden Angel Cake 
From: Lucille (Lois's sister)
Printable Recipe

5 eggs separated
1 1/2  sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c cold water
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cream of tarter

Beat egg yolks until thick and lemony. Add water and beat 4 min. Add sugar and beat 1 min. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add to mixture. Beat in vanilla.  In a separate bowl: Beat egg whites until foamy.   Add cream of tarter and continue beating till stiff peaks form. Fold in batter. our into ungreased 10' angel food pan. Bake 350 for 30 min.  Invert to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails