Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Split Pea Soup

Sheila gave me the ham bone from Christmas dinner so I could try some split pea soup. I got the split peas out of the bulk section at the grocery store and actually got the recipe right there too! I forgot to measure the peas out before I let them soak overnight, so I'm pretty sure I had more peas than was called for but it turned out yummy anyway! I think the hardest thing about the recipe was being home all afternoon so it could cook. I had planned to be home, but then the rain lifted and I wanted to go out for a walk (I ended up turning off the stove and just going).

Charlotte declared it, "Yep, good" when I asked if she liked it.

And, my goodness it made a lot! I froze about half of it for another time. Yummy and super duper cheap to make! (Especially given that I got the ham bone for free!)

I'd love to try some alterations. Any ideas?

Split Pea Soup
Printable Recipe

2 c dried split peas
1 ham bone
3 stalks celery, chopped fine
3 carrots, chopped
3 qts water
1 large onion
1 spring parsley

Soak peas in water overnight.  Add in ham bone, onion, celery, carrots, parsley. Heat to boiling, cover. Simmer 4-5 hrs until peas are tender and liquid is partially cooked down. Season to taste with salt ad pepper.

3 comments:

  1. Substitute white navy beans for peas and you get excellent bean soup. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me to send you a recipe of my mom's for beans that was a main course

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting carrots into the pea soup is good too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails