Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Potato Leek Soup with Cheddar Toast

I love Potato Leek soup and have a recipe I've done a number of times. This one was slightly different and I liked it a lot. Making it was pretty easy for me especially since there was no meat involved. I almost feel like I'm cheating on my resolution when I do easy recipes like this, but it's about finding good new recipes I'll actually make rather than attempting culinary feats.

Since this is Adventures in Cooking, I'll try to divulge all the mishaps in the kitchen too. Today's mishap: Remember that salmon I made two night ago? Right near the end of the salmon cooking I threw into the oven a few extra frozen quiches we had. Then, the salmon was done, I pulled it out, shut off the oven, and completely forgot about the quiche. Today, I preheated the oven for the cheddar toast. I actually let the oven sit for a bit because the soup was taking a bit longer than I expected and I didn't want the toast done too early. When I did open the oven I got a burst of smoke from the burned quiches. Oops.

The soup was great. The cheddar toast was fantastic. I almost ate all of Austin's before he got home. Charlotte was hungry before the soup was done so she entertained herself by eating the pile of shredded cheese I had prepared for the toast- twice. By the time the soup was done she was full. Oh well.

Golden Potato-Leek Soup and Cheddar Toast
Adapted from Parents Magazine article
Printable Recipe

1 Tbs butter
3 c thinly sliced leek (about 3 med)
6 c cubed, peeled Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 1/4 lbs)
2 c water
1/2 tsp salt
2 (14oz) can vegetable broth
2 thyme sprigs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp pepper

8 (1/4 inch thick) slices French bread baguette
Cooking spray
1/2 c shredded sharp cheese
1/8 tsp ground red pepper

Preheat oven 375.
Soup: melt butter.  Add leek, cook 10 min until tender, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and thyme sprigs. Boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 min or until potatoes tender.  Discard thyme sprigs. Partially mash potatoes with potato masher and stir in cream. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve with toast.

Toast: Place baguette slices on baking sheet. Bake 375 for 7 min or until toasted.  Turn over, coat with spray, sprinkle cheese over each slice  Bake 5 min or until cheese melts.  Sprinkle with red pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails