Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Penne with Turkey Sausage and Peppers

You know I really don't like sausage all that much. However, I love brats whenever I'm in Germany. Maybe it's a continent thing.

Thoughts while cooking:
This was my first meal with meat. Some of the sausage was sliding out the ends, thus making it really easy to notice the tubing stuff it's in. First of all, yuck! That just reminds me it's just mashed up parts of an animal. And, two- are they sure that tubing stuff is edible? It looks like shrink wrap. I actually double checked the packaging to make sure there wasn't a warning label about remembering to remove that stuff. How on earth do you brown all sides of a sausage? The curve basically makes that impossible. Austin would laugh at this- y'know when you're partway through a meal and you realize you chose the wrong pan to begin the meal in. Yep, that's what I'm dealing with now. Hmm... I wonder if the recipe has a typo. It calls for 1- 4.5oz can of diced tomatoes. Are they sure they didn't mean 1- 14.5oz can (the standard can size)? Oh well, I'll add it all. Maybe it'll hide the sausage more from me.

Not only would Charlotte not eat it. She wouldn't even come to the table for dinner. Well, she missed out. It was pretty darn tasty. Even though I used less penne than was called for, I still thought the pasta ratio was a little off (too much). I will concede that that sausage was very tasty and after Sheila assured me it was cooked I had less hesitation about eating it, but I still hold that I don't like sausage that much. I think it's the consistency and that weird shrink wrap stuff around it, and the fact it's mashed up parts.... oh, I really shouldn't blog while I'm still eating the meal....

Penne and Turkey Sausage
Adapted from Parents Magazine article
Printable Recipe

2 tsp canola oil
1 lb uncooked Italian turkey sausage links or bulk sausage
1 c chopped onion (about 1/2 onion)
1 16oz bag frozen pepper strips
1 c water
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 Tbs dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 lb dried penne pasta (1/2 lb was plenty)

1. Add oil and sausage to pan. Cook until brown, about 4 min. Add onion and saute for 1 min. Add peppers, water, tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and Worcestershire. Cover. Boil. Lower heat, simmer 10 min.
 

2. Remove sausages and slice. Return to pan and simmer 20 min uncovered. Cook Pasta. Toss with sausage mixture.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails