Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mulligatawny

I got this recipe from my friend Katharine. I didn't read it completely before deciding to do it and making the extra trip to Market of Choice for saffron. As I began prepping it today, I discovered a problem. It includes chicken breasts and suggests that using leftover breasts. That would be perfect if I had leftover chicken breasts, but I don't. I have a pack of frozen breasts and no idea how to cook them. Seriously, I need step by step directions for this kind of thing. Like I've explained, I haven't a clue what to do with meat.

Okay, so I cut up the breasts while they were still semi-frozen and then cooked them in a fry pan with some olive oil. Is that okay? Was that right? Maybe 11 months from now I'll know. I'm proud of myself for not just putting the recipe aside and defrosting some extra homemade tamales for dinner. Before 2010, that's exactly what I would have done.

Penelope and I prepped everything else so it's now at the- throw it all in the pot spot. I find it much easier to make these recipes if I start some prepping after lunch. It's been a bit of life change for me to start thinking this way, but it's also producing a lot of fun in the kitchen.

Penelope and I are going to go practice more rolling over before dinner officially needs to get started.

**************
It's good. I did have to make a quick call to Katharine to double check I was doing it right. I was expecting a "soup", but as the rice cooked it soaked up all the stock and I was ending up with a thick rice stew almost. It was right.

Charlotte liked the carrots, but wouldn't touch it that much. I still think it's a do over meal and it would be pretty simple to do with leftover chicken. I love carrots in this kind of thing, so next time I'll put in more carrots.

This will also be a good meal to eat as leftovers. Y'know how some meals just don't do well the second day? Not this one. Lunch tomorrow!

Austin absolutely loved it and we're fighting over the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

Virginia's Mulligatawny
From: Katharine Gallagher
 Printable Recipe 

2/3 to ¾ C rice
3 T butter
1 C onion, chopped
1 C carrot, chopped
1 to 2 t curry
½ t saffron or turmeric
¼ t black pepper
salt to taste
2 Q chicken stock
¼ C flour
½ C milk
1 to 2 cooked, chopped chicken breasts (a great use for leftover chicken)
1 C half and half or milk of any kind

Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté rice, stirring frequently. Add onion and carrot and sauté until vegetables soften slightly. Add curry powder, saffron / turmeric, pepper, salt and chicken stock. Cook until carrots are done.

Blend flour with milk until smooth. Add to soup to thicken. Add chicken to soup. Stir in half and half / milk and heat carefully, without boiling. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! So this one really changes depending on how much rice you put in. I can't decide what my favorite amount is. It's also fun to experiment with the curry - there are so many kinds and heat levels.....

    When you make your five-spice chicken or any other roast chicken, you can use left overs for the mulligatawny. Or, poach a breast or two and chop just for it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails