Monday, January 25, 2010

Manicotti

My mother's manicotti recipe. I remember LOVING this as a child.

Sauce: I'm working on the sauce now. I couldn't find the 2#3oz cans of tomatoes so instead I just bought 1#12oz cans of crushed tomatoes. My recipe also doesn't tell me how much tomato paste to add, it just says "a can". I put in 2 of the 6oz cans cause that's what I had. And, it calls for 1/4c of olive oil? That seems like a lot. It's simmering now and it sure smells yummy!

Filling: I opted to put a bit more parsley in and forget the wooden spoon to mix it. Use your hands.

Shells: Crepes. These things are hard!!! But it's a fun challenge. This HAS to be an old recipe. Melt 1 TBS of butter in the bottom of the pan? That's a lot of butter!! After the first crepe I realized this wouldn't work. Way too much butter. Out went the butter. I used olive oil spray between crepes- much better. I'm still working on my crepe technique, but I got okay at them. It's hard to get the batter to go all the way around the pan without any holes. Maybe I should use a smaller pan.

Wow! It made a ton! I made a huge pan and an additional little pan to freeze and I had a bag of plenty of sauce leftover to freeze for spaghetti sauce sometime. It was pretty labor intensive though. Not hard. Just not something that can be easily whipped together with two kids running around. (Luckily, Charlotte is at grandma and grandpa's.)

It was fantastic! Charlotte liked it too.

Why do I always have to do a messy stove top project right after Austin has cleaned the stove top so nicely? Get out the scrapper!

Mom's Manicotti
Printable Recipe

Manicotti Sauce
1/4 c olive salad oil
1 c finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (2# 3oz) Italian tomatoes (2- 1#12oz cans crushed is what I used)
1 can tomato paste
2 sprig parsley
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 c water

Heat oil. Saute onions and garlic until brown- 5 min. Add all else.  Mix well.  Mash tomatoes with fork. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally 1 hr.

Manicotti Shells
1 1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 c water
5 eggs
olive oil spray

Combine eggs, flour, salt, water with electric mixer. Beat till smooth.  Heat fry pan on med high heat. Spray fry pan. Pour 2 TBS batter in pan, rotate quickly. Spread batter evenly til top dry and bottom not brown. Flip. Turn out on wire rack. Stack wax paper between shells.

Manicotti Filling
2# ricotta cheese
1 pkg (8oz) mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/3 c grated Parmesan, plus 2 TBS Parm, grated
2 eggs
1 TBS chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine 1/3 c Parm and other ingredients. Beat well with wooden spoon (or hands).

Spoon a bit of sauce in a 13x9 pan. Place about 1/4 c filling in center of each shell and roll up. Place seams down in pan. Cover with sauce. Sprinkle with 2 TBS Parm.

Preheat over 350 and bake 30 min or until bubbly.

2 comments:

  1. yeh, messy stove. I can relate. the crepes just take practice and yes, perhaps a smaller pan. smallest you have. and you are doing a great modify as you go along. Very nice. The sauce is different each time because you change what you put in each time. Oh.. a little tomato sauce goes a long way. By the way, the recipe is really Patty's! She gave it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had this for lunch today. Sooooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails